Reflection


Death of someone I loved. Somehow world can be cruel to me that happened again. Cory Monteith, famously known for his role as Finn Hudson, on Glee, my favorite TV show of all time, was found dead in a hotel in Vancouver last July 13. I could not understand. He had so much going on--good things, in his life so why would he be taken away so fast? He was supposed to marry Lea in a few weeks time. The inspiration coming out from him must go on forever. It is deeply devastating me to know that after four years, he is gone. He is a huge loss to our generation-- in which I believe that we gradually learn to accept ourselves and others more than the past generations. 

I knew him from Glee, on the very first episode. Both Cory and his character, Finn, have touched me so deeply. Those who have seen the pilot episode as well need no more explanation why he simply was meant to be the individual that we loved. Words are not just enough to tell. 
Having experience to be bullied as a kid for quite a while, I wish there were more men like them when I was in the darkest shades in my life. 
What was mostly seen on the surface was the character Finn Hudson being the center of the group of misfits on Glee. However there were more than just it. I was so lucky that I got to discover Cory's past. Multiple school dropouts, started smoking and drinking at such young age. It was all dark. He was set to be a failure. It all changed after he moved to his mother's friend house in Vancouver who were in recovery from addiction. What highlighted the biggest turning point in his life was when he was exposed to the arts; acting, by his teacher at age of 19. Failed auditions over and over. Jobs after jobs. Small roles after small roles. He eventually landed himself to Glee and to wherever he had been. Against all odds, Cory made it through. 
The lesson we all could learn beneath the tall, awkward, Canadian and actor who plays drum, is that it is all about perseverance; we can always get back up. He went to hell back and forth-- he always succeeded. 
With him taking the midnight train going anywhere now, I am grateful that I met him. I am inspired by him, to say that it's okay to not knowing where to go. We all made mistakes but still, it does not hurt to say we were wrong. Perseverance is what matters. Get back up, always. Our lives can head to a better side like Cory's or Finn's. We can. 

"Don't Stop Believing" was one of his very first songs to be sung for Glee, and his last song as well. We start with what we have to, and end with remembering how we started. There you go, don't stop.

I will never forget how much he always put himself to the arts. I, as a person who loves arts since I was small, have often imagined myself still pursuing the arts somehow things happened along the way and I took the wrong path. His portrayal of a story of a teenager in a quandary regarding out future, gave strength to every cell in my body. 

Going to miss you, Cory. Do not forget to smile back at us.

To all Gleeks out there, let us be cherished about the presence of this very wonderful human being. Tears aside, let's celebrate what he has been through and accomplished. We will see him again. He'll say, "sorry if I hadn't been around, there's a good explanation to that."

To all those who care about Cory, especially in Canada, please donate whatever amount you can to Project Limelight, a project which Cory had times to work with to help kids in Vancouver pursuing the arts. Cory wanted to help kids who love the arts. 



Thank you, Cory. Rest in Peace, big guy.


#RememberingCory

0 comments:

Post a Comment